The Consumers Cooperative Society of Santa Monica was formed in 1936 by a small group of individuals working together to enhance the lives of members and their community.
Proudly Serving Our Members for Over 75 Years
Now close to 30,000 members strong, the Santa Monica Co-Op is dedicated to providing a variety of services our members need. At the same time, we are committed to supporting local communities through education, financial literacy and community service.
Cooperatives around the world generally operate according to the same core principles and values, adopted by the International Co-operative Alliance in 1995. Cooperatives trace the roots of these principles to the first modern cooperative founded in Rochdale, England in 1844.
- Voluntary and Open Membership
- Democratic Member Control
- Members' Economic Participation
- Autonomy and Independence
- Education, Training and Information
- Cooperation among Cooperatives
- Concern for Community
Courtesy of the National Cooperative Business Association; Read more »
Did you know?
- Over 1 billion people are members of cooperatives worldwide.1
- It is estimated that cooperatives account for more than 100 million jobs around the world, 20% more than multinational enterprises.1
- In the United States, more than 29,000 co-operatives operate in every sector of the economy and in every congressional district. Americans hold over 350 million co-operative memberships. 2
- Land O’ Lakes, Ace Hardware and Ocean Spray are cooperatives.